Oracle FAQ Your Portal to the Oracle Knowledge Grid

Home -> Community -> Usenet -> c.d.o.server -> Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

Re: Multi Threaded server not working for many inserts?

From: Howard J. Rogers <>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:17:07 +1100
Message-ID: <40593eeb$0$8360$>

"NetComrade" <> wrote in message
> Dedicated server is definetely more stable.

I have to disagree with that. You know, of course, that certain key pieces of Oracle Net functionality (such as CMAN to mention but one) only work under Shared Server configuration?

It's unlikely, I think, that Oracle would 'neglect' such a core component, and unliklier that they would leave it lying around in a distinctly unstable state.

>MTS is also not good for
> transactions beyond a few secs.

So? That's like saying "RAC is only good for when you have more than one instance". I mean, it's a tautology. If you're going to hog a shared server process for minutes on end, why not just ask for a dedicated process in the first place, because that's what you've effectively nabbed for yourself.

Which of course brings us to the beauty of Shared Server: just because you've configured Shared Server for 99% of your users doesn't mean the other 1% can't happily co-exist with their dedicated connections. If it was one or the other, I'd agree that Shared Server was of limited use. But it is usually both -with the DBA in fairly precise control over the mix. So I don't agree.

>I think dedicated up to 1000 users is
> fine, provided you have enough memory and the users are not very
> active (every second).

That's a lot of fairly major provisos! And of course is again rather tautological: Oracle itself recommends that if your box is up to the job, stick with dedicated server. The issue is, however, that many (I would say most) boxes aren't up to supporting a large, active, user community -at which point Shared Server is a bit of a must.

HJR Received on Thu Mar 18 2004 - 00:17:07 CST

Original text of this message