Re: Concise Resource\Book on Oraice9i

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:11:41 GMT

> > It's probably not what you wanted to hear, but have you had a look at
> > the Oracle documentation? -> It has tons of information <- there, more so than
> > you would find in any single book.
>
> Well, that's maybe the problem. :-)

I disagree that the volume of information in the documentation is the problem. Rather, I would suggest that the volume of information scares people off, and it is running away from the docs that is the problem. There is no way that any single book is going to cover the breadth of material in the Oracle docs. What do you do when you've exhausted the resources of that book, but still need more information? Where do you go? Do you buy another book?

The more people get used to using the docs, the more they will find that it is not really that cumbersome. I can typically find the information that I need from the docs in less than 3 minutes. Granted, I've worked with the docs before, so I do have an idea where to look in the first place. But if one never works with the docs, then their fear of the docs will never be conquered.

Oracle is a complex beast. Thankfully I wasn't scared off at its breadth and of the amount of knowledge I need to work with it. Similarly, the amount of information in the docs shouldn't scare one off either.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com