Re: MS SQL Server Evaluation

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:23:04 -0800

Comments in-line.

Hans Forbrich wrote:

> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>

>> Now this is where it gets interesting, because my list of RAC benefits
>> would
>> read:
>>
>> 1. High availability
>> 2. Scale Up (do more work in the same time)
>> 3. Speed Up (do the same work in less time)

> Can we add
>
> 4. Rolling Upgrades

Good point. You can actually do rolling upgrades with RAC under 9.2.0.4 if you know how. It will just become easier with 10g.

> that is being flogged with RAC in 10g? I realize there are likely a
> number of caveats to that 'capability', but if even somewhat true, this
> has got to be a real benefit for some shops.
>
> BTW - The majority of customers I see have 2-4 CPU 'SMP' (ignoring the
> local telco with significantly larger - up to 64 - processor systems). I
> have to agree that most customers I see do not need the HA or
> scalability [theoretical] benefits of RAC - yet. So I tend to agree
> with your argument as valid across my customer base.

This might be related to geography. I would expect that there would be more need for larger boxes in the US than in Alberta or most places in Australia. I see a very large percentage of boxes at >2 CPUs.

> Based on previous discussions, Daniel's customer base hass proven to be
> significantly different from mine. Therefore he, and they, apparently
> can quickly see benefit from RAC.
>
> <speculation>
> When I worked for Oracle (I saw Oracle8, Oracle8i, Oracle9i and
> Oracle9iR2 released), we were strongly encouraged not to say (or even
> imply) that RAC is an upgrade to OPS. The water-cooler reasoning
> included: OPS had such a poor reputation that marketing wanted to
> separate RAC from OPS in customers' minds. (Other such talk centered
> around price differences between OPS and RAC.)

That goes without saying. No doubt there is some salesperson somewhere saying there is no relationship between Exp and DataPump.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu