Re: SMON eating 90% CPU

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 22:33:14 GMT

  1. (as someone mentioned) create temporary tablespaces (not regular)
  2. use bigger extent size in temp tablespace
  3. don't shutdown abort when there is a long running xaction
  4. wait for it to finish, don't restart db while SMON is cleaning up

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:28:56 GMT, Hermann Maier <benutzer_at_beispiel.at> wrote:

>I have the problem that after restart of my database (8.0.5.1.0 on
>Solaris) SMON is doing something with my TEMP tablespace since 15 hours.
>I read something about coalescing extents and so on, so I created a new
>tablespace (not temporary) and defined the new tablespace as the
>temporary tablespace for all users.
>I also used dbms_system.set_ev to set the event 10061 to stop SMON doing
>the cleanup of temporary segments.
>My question: None of the actions helped. My apps are damn slow,
>sometimes I see that SMON is blocking other sessions. What can I do to
>stop SMON cleaning up temporary segments? Do I have to shutdown, startup
>w/o opening and drop the old temp tablespace?
>And why is SMON doing this only after restart of database? During normal
>work, I never see SMON cleaning up temp segments.
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Hermann
>
>P.S. I know that we are using a _very_ old version of Oracle but our
>apps are fixed to 8.0

We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Mon Mar 15 2004 - 16:33:14 CST