Re: RAC alternatives: do you have suggestions? (HELP!)

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Mar 2004 09:16:01 -0800

FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com> wrote in message news:<GiV4c.51543$O31.2275678_at_news4.tin.it>...
> This RAC has to deal only with simple select and insert sql statements.
> They are in the form of:
> select column from table;
>
> the high workload is only in the number of connections and in disk I/O.
>
> However the system is a SUSE Linux Enterprise Edition 7 and the DB is a
> 9.2.0.4
> No oracle consultant was able to fix the bugs. The usual reply is "this
> is bug yyyy: please, apply the xxx patch" but recently we have
> terminated the available patches...
>
> In this moment my company is only seeking good alternatives.
> We gave up with RAC systems
>
> Fabrizio Magni
>
> fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com
> replace mycontinent with europe
>
> Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > FM wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >> after two years working with RAC (on linux) on a critical production
> >> system the management decided to dismantle it due to too many
> >> downtimes, bugs, crashes, hangs...
> >>
> >> Lately we experienced too much in a too short time.
> >> Now I'm looking for stable and really unbreakable HA alternatives
> >> (active-passive clusters?).
> >>
> >> The selected platforms are:
> >>
> >> AIX + hacmp + oracle9i
> >> SOLARIS + veritas + oracle9i
> >>
> >> I'm open to alternatives but what I wish more are critics at those
> >> two architectures. Which dangers? Have you experienced problems?
> >> Every opinion is welcome.
> >>
> >> Thank you for any kind of help.
> >

> > Most of the time ... the problem isn't RAC it is the code being run on
> > it. What version of Oracle, what Linux, and what was the app?
> >
> > Thanks.

IMHO, you failed to mobilize enough resources within Oracle to assist you.

This phrase confuses me:
> No oracle consultant was able to fix the bugs. The usual reply is "this
> is bug yyyy: please, apply the xxx patch" but recently we have
> terminated the available patches...

I believe the phrase
>"but recently we have terminated the available patches..." loses something in the translation.
Does that mean that you terminated your Oracle Support contract? If so, then you shot yourself in the foot. If you were not happy with Oracle Support's response on your issues, you were entitled to escalate the issues, provided that you were meeting their criteria for working with them.

If you are not willing or able to apply patchsets and patches, then you don't belong running the software. Period.

why do I have a very strong feeling that you did not have a test system, and all changes were being applied to the production database on the production system?

how far up the chain within Oracle and SuSE did your issues go? did you attempt to post issues on the oracle-linux-l list?

People have 9.2.0.4 RAC running on Linux in production. Its highly likely that most of the issues that they have encountered have been identified and addressed via patches.

Your lack of willingness to apply them (patches) makes me think that I have completely wasted my time in posting to this thread.

good luck in your search for a turnkey solution that requires no work on your part.

Pd Received on Sun Mar 14 2004 - 11:16:01 CST