Re: RAC alternatives: do you have suggestions? (HELP!)

From: FM <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:50:37 GMT

 > IMHO, you failed to mobilize enough resources within Oracle to assist
 > you.

It's likely you are right.

 > This phrase confuses me:
 >
 >>No oracle consultant was able to fix the bugs. The usual reply is "this
 >>is bug yyyy: please, apply the xxx patch" but recently we have
 >>terminated the available patches...

I mean: if I was running 9.0.1 the reply of oracle support was: "migrate to 9.0.2"
then:
"apply patchset 9.2.0.2"
"apply patchset 9.2.0.3"

 > I believe the phrase
 >
 >>"but recently we have terminated the available patches..."

We applied 9.2.0.4, last patchset available so the support is no more able to give me the same reply "please apply the patchset xxx".

 > loses something in the translation.
 > Does that mean that you terminated your Oracle Support contract?
 > If so, then you shot yourself in the foot.

No, we have a regular contract with oracle for their support included a special one for RAC (not helpful so far).

 > If you were not happy with Oracle Support's response on your issues,
 > you were entitled to escalate the issues, provided that you were
 > meeting their criteria for working with them.
 >
 > If you are not willing or able to apply patchsets and patches, then
 > you don't belong running the software. Period.

I applied all the requested patch, but I want to state that this is a production system, not a testing machine. A support can't ask constantly to apply a patchset in order to fix a bug!

 > why do I have a  very strong feeling that you did not have a test
 > system, and all changes were being applied to the production database
 > on the production system?
 >

> This phrase confuses me:
>

>>No oracle consultant was able to fix the bugs. The usual reply is "this
>>is bug yyyy: please, apply the xxx patch" but recently we have
>>terminated the available patches...

I mean: if I was running 9.0.1 the reply of oracle support was: "migrate to 9.0.2"
then:
"apply patchset 9.2.0.2"
"apply patchset 9.2.0.3"

> I believe the phrase
>

>>"but recently we have terminated the available patches..."

We applied 9.2.0.4, last patchset available so the support is no more able to give me the same reply "please apply the patchset xxx".

> loses something in the translation.
> Does that mean that you terminated your Oracle Support contract?
> If so, then you shot yourself in the foot.

No, we have a regular contract with oracle for their support included a special one for RAC (not helpful so far).

> If you were not happy with Oracle Support's response on your issues,
> you were entitled to escalate the issues, provided that you were
> meeting their criteria for working with them.
>
> If you are not willing or able to apply patchsets and patches, then
> you don't belong running the software. Period.

I applied all the requested patch, but I want to state that this is a production system, not a testing machine. A support can't ask constantly to apply a patchset in order to fix a bug!

> why do I have a very strong feeling that you did not have a test
> system, and all changes were being applied to the production database
> on the production system?

I'm sorry to say that your feeling is wrong. We have a testing and a development system. All the chenges are tried on both of them before being apllied on the production system.

> how far up the chain within Oracle and SuSE did your issues go?
> did you attempt to post issues on the oracle-linux-l list?

The most critical tars were escalated and oracle technician (best in europe, oracle claimed) arrived on site.

> People have 9.2.0.4 RAC running on Linux in production.
> Its highly likely that most of the issues that they have encountered
> have been identified and addressed via patches.

Some fixes on 9.2.3 and 9.2.4 were studied on our system :( I'm not particolary proud of it. We are not betatesters!

> Your lack of willingness to apply them (patches) makes me think that I
> have completely wasted my time in posting to this thread.

Only you can judge if your time has been wasted...

> good luck in your search for a turnkey solution that requires no work
> on your part.

To have a running system which wouldn't fail every two days would be a great change.

Thank you.

--

Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com