Re: Seperate Oracle Homes for each instance.

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 20:36:58 GMT

Bill Doggett wrote:
> One thought we are looking to better what each instance is using as far as
> resources is to have a seperate owner and Oracle Home for each instance.
> Such as if we had a prod instance we would have a unix account name prod and
> all the instance process and executables would be owned by prod. Second
> instance (pweb) would have the same thing. Unix account and oracle home
> with everything starting up as pweb. I can't seem to find any problems with
> this. Want to know if anybody else did this and if they had problems with
> it (besides duplicating the maintenance that may be needed.

An ORACLE_HOME is your base unit of software maintenance. An instance is your base unit of software instantiation.

You need to understand your applications' maintenance (aka SLA) requirements. As far as I can tell, that is the only legitimate reason for keeping separate ORACLE_HOMEs. (I deliberately view the dev or training implementation of an application as a separate application - the similarities to production may or may not be coincidental). If your environment and SLAs require consistency in patch levels, then don't provide separate ORACLE_HOMEs.

Another way of looking at it: each ORACLE_HOME requires it's own maintenance 'contract' with management and will require separate resources, from disk to people's time.

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri Mar 12 2004 - 14:36:58 CST