Re: Morgan's Problem D'Jour

From: Guido Konsolke <dueto.spam_at_nomail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 07:23:36 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote...
> Yes Oracle documentation has got me again. Here's the problem.
(snip)
> SQL> COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if
False if a
> string or number contains a
> different string or number';
> COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if False if
> string or number contains a diff
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00966: missing TABLE keyword

(snip)

> Has anyone ever done this successfully? If so ... how? Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan

> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

Hi Daniel,

never used operators but tried to create one in every possible way I could think of. I've always been confonted with the same error message as you.

I also find the documentation a bit confusing. In the 'statement purpose'-section it is written that one can add comments about tables, views, mviews and columns. In the prerequisites and the syntax section they clearly write about operators. Also in the 2nd chapter of this doc (Basic Elements of Oracle SQL) they don't mention 'operators'.

Did the docu writers publish a 'future feature'? I doubt that.

Sorry, I'm not able to help on this one but am interested in the solution.

Greetings,
Guido Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 00:23:36 CST