Re: Morgan's Problem D'Jour

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:42:14 GMT

Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Yes Oracle documentation has got me again. Here's the problem.
>
> =====================================
> Oracle 9.2.0.4 on W2K SP4
>
> SQL> ALTER OPERATOR contains COMPILE;
>
> Operator altered.
> =====================================
>
> Ok so we know the operator exists and is valid
> Then we try to comment it with.
>
> =====================================
> SQL> COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if False if a
> string or number contains a
> different string or number';
> COMMENT ON OPERATOR contains IS 'Returns 1 if True, 0 if False if a
> string or number contains a diff
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-00966: missing TABLE keyword
> =====================================
>
> So we know the syntax listed at otn:
>
> =====================================
> "The COMMENT statement can be used to supply information about an
> indextype or operator. For example:
>
> COMMENT ON OPERATOR
> Ordsys.TextIndexType IS 'a number indicating whether the text contains
> the key';
> =====================================
>
> doesn't work.
>
> A trip to metalink only shows a single document under ORA-00966
> that has nothing to do with commenting operators.
>
> Has anyone ever done this successfully? If so ... how? Thanks.
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

There are two different types of operators. You have operators that work with ConText, i.e. ORDSYS, and you have operators that work on regular old predicates. You created the latter. But it appears from your error message that you can only create comments on the former.

Cheers,
Brian Received on Thu Mar 11 2004 - 15:42:14 CST