Re: benefits of multiple switch logfile calls?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:45:34 -0500

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:54:01 +0000, Don Seiler wrote:

> I just now noticed Burt Peltier's suggestion that I should be doing an
> ALTER SYSTEM CHECKPOINT before the ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG CURRENT. I
> haven't been doing this, do you believe it will make a critical difference?

No, it will not. Alter system archive log current will archive all unarchived redo logs, including the current one and switch logs to the next file in sequence. I believe that a log switch still entails a global checkpoint, so the one before is completely unnecessary, except for flushing redo buffers few milliseconds earlier, which doesn't seem like a big gain. If you do recovery, based on those archives, you'll probably want to use archives that you archived with "archive log current", so the SCN that you recorded in controlfile during preliminary checkpoint will not help you in way, shape or form.

--
Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.