Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 22:10:48 -0800

Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net> wrote in message news:<Xns9493A2686350Bchuckhsofthomenet_at_130.133.1.4>...
> Michael Rothwell <marothwellRemoveThis_at_yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> > Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware
> > configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some
> > real world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i.
> > The box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP
> > system with tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100
> > concurrent users, but this may double soon. Can I expect better
> > performance from the Linux box?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Michael
> >

> I have not run Oracle on Linux but I have on Windows, AIX, HPUX, IRIX,
> Novell and SunOs over the past 9 years. 10% of my databases are on
> Windows and they easily account for 90% of the problems - memory that
> doesn't get released, process that get orphaned and must be manually
> cleaned up, threads that get orphaned and cannot be cleaned up apart from
> a reboot. I am looking forward to running Oracle on Linux perhaps in the
> next year or two just as soon as I can convince management that Windows
> is a crappy platform for Oracle.
>
> The only problems I encounter with Oracle on Unix are those introduced by
> application code.

If I could ask for one feature to have working for Oracle on win32, it would be dead connection detection. It was advertised to work in the

9.2.0.4 patchset, but did not. Maybe there will be a silver lining in
9.2.0.4 patchset 3 and DCD will work there. Maybe it will be in
9.2.0.5, or 10.1.0.2.0.

Or maybe we'll see such a rash of vulnerabilities due to the source code release of a certain operating system that oracle on win32 will be abandoned. :)

Pd Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 00:10:48 CST