Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 22:03:04 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1076700909.575761_at_yasure>...
> Michael Rothwell wrote:
>
> > Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware
> > configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some real
> > world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i. The
> > box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP system with
> > tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100 concurrent users, but
> > this may double soon. Can I expect better performance from the Linux box?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Michael
>
> Some but how much may be dependent upon many things including the
> flavour of Linux chosen. Keep in mind that changing the O/S is not
> going to speed up the spin rate on the hard disks or bus speed or
> CPU speed.
>
> What I would expect to see is greater stability and far fewer
> concerns with viruses and other mischief. Also consider the money
> saved in not playing the MS upgrade game.

you're fooling yourself. you're still going to have to pay for the operating system and support, and you're still going to have to upgrade.

hey, I'd much rather send the funds to SuSE or Red Hat than to redmond.

If you want to run Oracle on Linux _in production_ you're going to run on a supported kernel and distribution and that is not free as in beer.

you may be able to get by with whiteboxlinux. I didn't try it out, as we picked up a development license for RHEL. It was quite reasonable.

Its more like $749/year for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3.0 ES with support.
Now, this is still less than support for w2k3 Server from an OEM like HP.

Maybe you're never had to open a TAR. Congrats. For the rest of us that depend upon Oracle Support to assist us when the ORA-00600 messages are populating our logs and trace files, a supported version is an operational requirement.

you're still going to be upgrading kernel versions, oracle versions, applying patchsets (9.2.0.4 patchset 3, anyone?). how soon are you going to hop on the 2.6.x train, making local stops at 2.6.3, 2.6.4 ... 2.6.20?

one category you can put in your ROI, is, tripwire is free as in beer on Linux.
that's roughly $500/server on win32.

Pd Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 00:03:04 CST