Re: Linux vs. Windows performance.

From: Chuck <chuckh_nospam_at_softhome.net>
Date: 18 Feb 2004 20:57:55 GMT

Michael Rothwell <marothwellRemoveThis_at_yahoo.com> wrote in news:GeqdnbRkYfsyubDdRVn-hg_at_comcast.com:

> Has anyone taken an Identical Windows box and Linux box (same hardware
> configuration) and tested Oracle performance? I'm looking for some
> real world examples if I move from Windows 2k to linux with Oracle 9i.
> The box currently has 2 1.8 CPUs with 4 disks and 1 G ram. OLTP
> system with tables using about 30 G of space. About 40 - 100
> concurrent users, but this may double soon. Can I expect better
> performance from the Linux box?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

I have not run Oracle on Linux but I have on Windows, AIX, HPUX, IRIX, Novell and SunOs over the past 9 years. 10% of my databases are on Windows and they easily account for 90% of the problems - memory that doesn't get released, process that get orphaned and must be manually cleaned up, threads that get orphaned and cannot be cleaned up apart from a reboot. I am looking forward to running Oracle on Linux perhaps in the next year or two just as soon as I can convince management that Windows is a crappy platform for Oracle.

The only problems I encounter with Oracle on Unix are those introduced by application code.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email