Re: WINODS NT SERVER Oracle - roblem starting oracle from Microsoft Terminal Server Remote Deskto

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 06:31:11 +0100

On 19 Feb 2004 18:38:10 -0800, premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote:

>I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing
>the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service
>Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop,
>i.e.,
>one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the
>workarounds.

Because Microsoft is Microsoft and Microsoft doesn't support the BEQ protocol used by Oracle for this purpose.

The only lousy workaround is to use
set local=<tns service name>
prior to connecting to sql*plus in a cmd window.

Also you can't use the lsnrctl program to start and stop the listener for the same reason. You need to bounce the service.

>Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console
>wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds.

OEM? It works! Need to save the init.ora on the Oracle Enterprise Management Server, using OEM, but that is about there is. Or dump Microsux Terminal Server.

Do same problem exist
>with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client.

No. Microsux Terminal Services is the only product with this problem.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA