Re: WINODS NT SERVER Oracle - roblem starting oracle from Microsoft Terminal Server Remote Deskto

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 22:17:52 -0800

premmehrotra_at_hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote in message news:<43441e77.0402191838.60106cb8_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have Oracle database running on a Windows NT server. I am accessing
> the server using Remote Desktop ( A Microsoft Terminal Service
> Client). Somone told me that there are limitations in remote desktop,
> i.e.,
> one cannot start Oracle. I want to know why as well as the
> workarounds.
>
> Instead of running everything from the WINDOWS NT server console
> wjhich is painful, what are the workraounds. Do same problem exist
> with pcAnywhere, VNC desktop, Citrix client.
>
> Thanks,
> Prem

bequeath connections are not supported on WinNT 4.0, W2K. bequeath connections are supported on w2k3.

you do not want to run Citrix Metaframe on the same server as Oracle. feel free to do so, though. you are best off to check the Product Certification matrix on metalink, to determine what version of Oracle is supported on what OS.

PC Anywhere, Timbuktu Pro, NetOp, WinVNC all support bequeath connections, so lsnrctl, svrmgrl, namesctl all work, as does sqlplus when not connecting thru a listener.

this has to be on an FAQ somewhere.

Citrix has its place, and its on a (pseudo) app server, with only the Oracle client installed.

Pd Received on Fri Feb 20 2004 - 00:17:52 CST