Re: Options for wide-area database?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 18 Feb 2004 06:48:09 -0800

bandar_at_gmx.net (bandar) wrote in message news:<e623b4e7.0402171034.7cef7541_at_posting.google.com>...
> Dusan,
>
> you are absolutely right that those stretch clusters are working. My
> point is that I think the investments you have to make in bandwidth
> are not reasonable. Database log shipping can be performed e.g. with a
> 400 GB SAP database with only 2-4 MBit bandwidth. I don't have numbers
> for stretch clusters but I think the bandwidth is significant higher.

Well, it depends. During .com madness and even after it, we burried a lot of glass in the ground, so you can buy a quite a lot of network capacity for not as big money as even yesterday. In some European countries Fast Ethernet is used even as a broadband access for home users. Of course, SLAs are different, but you've got the point. Paying for gigabit link between two sites with distance between them let's say 100km is not a big deal for a mid-sized company. And a low latency gigabit is exactly what you need as an interconnect for a typical stretch cluster .

--
Dusan Bolek

Email: spambin_at_seznam.cz
Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, so your mail will not be burnt.