Re: Install of Oracle 9i on Redhat 9

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 16:24:27 -0800

sean <sean_at_mckeown-enterprises.co.uk> wrote in message news:<4030f441$0$25892$fa0fcedb_at_lovejoy.zen.co.uk>...
> Hi all,
> Novide here
> following Dizerll's instructions for installation, but am getting an
> error not mentioned in his guide:

That would be "Dizwell"!

> Error in writing to file
> /u01/app/oracle/product/9.2.0.1.0/Apache/Apache/conf/ssl.key/server.key
>
> any ideas ?
>
> I have all the latest patches etc from RHN

Bingo. The paper clearly describes installing RH9 *from the CDs* and then immediately doing the install. When you do things in a different way to that described in the paper (ie, patching RH9 and *then* doing the install) you can expect errors to arise which the paper doesn't cover!

I'm no Linux guru (that's why I wrote the paper!), so there is probably an easy fix that a true Linux Bod can tell you. Alternatively, start from scratch, do exactly what the paper tells you, no more and no less, and then it will work.

That said, it sounds like it could be just be a permissions problem... which again wouldn't arise if you follow the paper's instructions every step of the way. (Maybe you missed a step, or mis-typed something?).

You can patch RH9 *after* Oracle's been installed, by the way.

Regards
HJR