Re: To be or not to be a DBA

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 16 Feb 2004 11:12:14 -0800

Ones that have the skills you state typically have 10 years experience. How is this guy supposed to manufacture 10 years experience? There are no entry level DBA jobs.

Second off, software engineering really isn't about the language or platform its about Object Oriented software design, analysis and coding. .Net and Java are close enough where if you have strong fundamental Computer Science and Software Engineering skills it is not too difficult to switch between them.

Object Oriented programming isn't going anywhere. Neither is UML or RUP. Plus since Java and .Net are newer platforms you don't need as much experience to be considered senior. Oracle has been around for 25 years, so now you really need 10 years experience to be considered truly senior. In 10 years you will need more than that.