Re: To be or not to be a DBA

From: Todd Boss <toddboss_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2004 14:05:30 -0800

What you say may be true here ... but the problem with being a software engineer is, What technology do you focus on? Java may be hot today, but its only been around for a few years. Before that Client-server, before that what Powerbuilder, before that Cobol ... get my drift? You're always chasing what the next "hot" technology is. .NET? j2ee?

A DBA, especially one that can do both operational stuff (installs, backups, recovery, P&T) and design (modelling, designing, creating) is timeless. And always in demand. I don't know too many DBAs that are hurting for billable rates or looking for work.

my 2 cents.
Boss