Re: Personal Oracle Patch for XP

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:01:02 +1100

"que90nek" <mylescd_at_advantexmail.net> wrote in message news:102trbv8ejbf35b_at_corp.supernews.com...
> I haven't paid one red cent. Was I supposed to? I thought with the name
> PERSONAL Oracle....that it was free. Should I have gotten Oracle Lite?

No. Oracle Lite (IIRC, and it's sometimes difficult to keep the various products clear in one's head) is for web-based access stuff from personal organisers, handhelds, mobile phones and similar devices. Very different beast... and still chargeable.

All Oracle software costs money. All of it.

The confusion perhaps arises over the fact that all of it is also downloadable for free at technet.oracle.com. But they are made available for you only to evaluate and assess. Read the trial license carefully, and it says (paraphrasing) 'not to be used to store any permanent data, personal, business-related or otherwise'. Once you've assessed an Oracle product to be worthwhile, you're supposed to purchase a proper license for it, and then you can use it for storing anything you like. And part of that 'proper license' is the necessary information to log on to metalink.

A single-user license for Personal Oracle isn't, however, very expensive. I really can't recally how much, but we're not talking thousands.

Regards
HJR
> "Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message
> > But Personal Oracle isn't free, is it? If you've purchased a software
> > license so that it's a legitimate copy, you will have a Metalink
account,
> or
> > so I believe.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
> > Oracle Insights: www.dizwell.com
> >
> > "que90nek" <mylescd_at_advantexmail.net> wrote in message
> > > Can somebody please explain why I have to get the patch (patch 13)
from