Re: Mac OS X & Mac OS X Server

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2004 11:23:34 -0800

Steve Haunch <steve_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:<2004020714065212655%steve_at_nospamcom>...
> It seems that some of you find the idea of a Mac running Oracle vaguely
> amusing!

8.1.6 port attempted. nothing shipped.
8.1.7 beta announced (Bob Shimp). nothing shipped.
9.2.0 developer release did ship, not a full release.

If you have dealt with trying to get patchsets and bug fixes out of Oracle for a platform not on Tier 1 support (like win32) you would likely shy away from such an operating system.

I don't know where Mac OS X fits in as far as the Tier that Oracle considers it to be. I do know where HP/UX, Solaris Sparc and Linux are. I know where win32 has been - a distant port.

The GUI of the Oracle Server operating system is interesting to me only as far as running the Oracle Universal Installer. Beyond that, the command line and sqlplus from my workstation are sufficient (or whatever 3rd party tools you run from your management workstation).

What business requirement are you satisfying by specifying a Mac OS X Server?
most likely your own agenda.

Hi. My name is Paul, and I hate macs.

Pd Received on Sat Feb 07 2004 - 13:23:34 CST