Re: Restore Database Question (After Server reinstall).

From: Bill Lucas <Homebrew42_at_hotmail.ccom>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:24:21 -0500

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:3q45201rk4dt9ipo2gvatu9mc6mpltg0mt_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 13:32:59 -0500, "Bill Lucas"
> <Homebrew42_at_hotmail.ccom> wrote:
>
> >Preparing for a worst scenerio in this case...
> >
> >If they don't have a Recovery catalog? What would be the issue / and
where
> >can I find info on a resolution workaroundd?
>
> If they don't ever used a recovery catalog rman stores it's
> information in the controlfile. If the controlfile is aged, prepare
> for data loss, if they also don't have the controlfile take your
> suicide pill.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I am not sure if they used a recovery catalog or not, but seeing as how they asked us how to back up their database, I am not holding my breath. We created a back up of the control file as I specified in my reply to Brian. The control file is copied from the most recent back up and had yesterdays date on it which is when we did the back up. Considering that there test server has been idle for the last week I am not expecting much (if any) data loss. However, I still have the suicide pill lodged into my molar just in case.

Thanks for the reply, and I guess wish me luck, nothing like the blind leading the blind.

Regards,
Bill Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 13:24:21 CST