Re: yipeee!

From: Buck Nuggets <bucknuggets_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 5 Feb 2004 06:32:25 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1075948868.103447_at_yasure>...

> As has been frequently stated in the DB2 usenet group and elsewhere ...
> the TPC benchmarks favor shared-nothing. Pull the plug on one of those
> shared nothing nodes (hardware failures do happen in the real world) and
> see what happens to performance.
>
> My point being that if I made one change to the benchmark ... say added
> the following ... "one hour into the test pull the plug on one node and
> complete the job" ... shared nothing and federated databases wouldn't
> even be able to compete.

Kind of neat how as soon as product a has a new feature its apologists declare it the essential and distinguishing feature in the marketplace..

Now, if it works as smoothly as you describe - that's great, and I'll look forward to using it. On the other hand, in my experience with MPP databases (primarily Informix on AIX using SP2), I could go a year without having to reboot any nodes. And when I did, it was often due to a configuration change to the frame - so I had to take all of them down anyway.

So, nice feature, but hardly essential for most applications. Received on Thu Feb 05 2004 - 08:32:25 CST