Re: add new user to oracle ??

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:58:52 -0600

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:00:56 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

>Cookie Monster wrote:
>
>> "raf" <legendr_at_poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi I'm new guy a I don't now how to do this
>>>Please help me ;-) !!!
>>>

>> create user fred identified by password
>> temporary tablespace temp
>> default tablespace mydata
>> quota 10M on mydata
>>
>> You need to replace the temp and default tablespaces with your own.
>>
>> check:
>>
>> select * from dba_tablespaces;
>>

>> Cookie.
>
>Sorry cookie monster ... but given the OPs question your response will
>likely cause problems. Let me suggest a modfication:
>
>1. log on as SYS
>
>2. identify available tablespaces
>
>SELECT tablespace_name
>FROM dba_tablespaces
>WHERE tablespace_name NOT IN ('SYSTEM','TEMP', 'RBS', 'UNDOTBS1');
>
>3. create user
>
>CREATE UESR <user_name>
>IDENTIFIED BY <password>
>DEFAULT TABLESPACE <tablespace_returned from the above query>
>TEMPORARY TABLESPACE temp
>QUOTA 0 ON SYSTEM
>QUOTA <unlimited | 10M> ON <tablespace_returned from the above query>;
>
>GRANT create session TO <user_name>;
>GRANT <other_privileges> TO <user_name>;
>
>Do not grant the CONNECT, RESOURCE, OR DBA roles. Learn the sysystem
>privileges and grant those required.

But suppose the temp TS (or even temp tablespaceS !) is named something other than TEMP? I know that is daft, but then I work on a daft system.

At the risk of sounding brusque to the OP, given his question, I'd be tempted to say something along the lines of "if you have to ask *that*, you've got no business doing it." Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 14:58:52 CST