Re: Physical layout of a DB in RAC environment

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 30 Jan 2004 04:38:09 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1075443006.598594_at_yasure>...

> With NetApp or EMC ... the one's I'm familiar with ... once you've
> written to the head you can just ignore it ... questions about
> stripping, mirroring, RAID, etc. are irrelevant. The head takes full
> responsiblity for reading, writing, and recovery.

I think this is true only if we're talking about cheap low end arrays. We have here EMC's Symmetrixes and it seems to me like there is quite a lot of things that you can setup (or in my case messed up). You can specify for example RAID levels, which disks will be part of which "volume group", many communication parameters etc.

> I've also come to the point where I think backing up to tape is a
> ridiculous waste of time and money. These days you can back up to hard
> disks far faster and for the same money. Fill a disk, pop it out,
> replace it with another. Recycle hard disks not tape.

However, tape could be quicker ... strange but true.

--
Dusan Bolek