Re: Physical layout of a DB in RAC environment

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:11:08 -0800

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 08:29:27 -0800, Daniel Morgan
> <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>It works just fine. Let the SAN or NAS handle the problem. Once you've
>>written to the head ... the rest can just be ignored.
>>
>>With RAW we got rid of file systems. With 10g even the volume management
>>can go away. It is a brave new world ... every 5 years or so.

> Do you mean this seriously, or are you just being cynical?
> To me the proposed configuration looks like it has been designed by
> someone who is either just released from a mental asylum or is a bean
> counter (or both)
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Seriously.

With NetApp or EMC ... the one's I'm familiar with ... once you've written to the head you can just ignore it ... questions about stripping, mirroring, RAID, etc. are irrelevant. The head takes full responsiblity for reading, writing, and recovery.

I've also come to the point where I think backing up to tape is a ridiculous waste of time and money. These days you can back up to hard disks far faster and for the same money. Fill a disk, pop it out, replace it with another. Recycle hard disks not tape.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)