Re: Physical layout of a DB in RAC environment

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:53:56 -0600

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:11:08 -0800, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:

<snip>

>I've also come to the point where I think backing up to tape is a
>ridiculous waste of time and money. These days you can back up to hard
>disks far faster and for the same money. Fill a disk, pop it out,
>replace it with another. Recycle hard disks not tape.

Or one could use a tape managment system that virtualizes the whole operation, and actually uses disk as an asynch buffer between the tape and the 'application.' We use Tivioli Storage Manager in this fashion. From my view, I'm writing backups to neither 'tape' nor 'disk' but simply to the TSM system. But within that system, my write ends up going directly to a disk, from where it is later copied to tape. So I get the storage advantages of tape without having to wait on tape mounts and availability. Received on Fri Jan 30 2004 - 08:53:56 CST