Re: Dumb & Vague OCP Questions ...

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 09:55:23 -0500

On 21 Jan 2004 17:51:14 -0800, domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote:

>Why do they ask about a
>setting that isn't supposed to be used? Then they ask if Oracle Net
>is part of OSI -- what the hell is OSI? -- the only OSI I know is
>from the Six Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman series. Dumb
>questions.

Some would argue that questions on the real exam are just as bad. I won't take that viewpoint here. I'll just point out that it takes a fair bit of time and resources to design a good test. Someone putting together a practice test is more likely to just whip off a bunch of questions from the top of his head. Thus, I don't put much stock in practice tests. I doubt that they are a good reflection of the real thing.

My approach to practice exams is just to sign up and take the real thing. If I fail, I fail, but then I know what to study. That's how I passed my first round of cert tests back in the 7.3 days. I was at OracleWorld (1998 I think), and I realized that I'd been procrastinating about exams for more than a year. There was a show-special, so I went and signed up for all four exams that week. Then, to really add to my pressure, I told all my colleagues back at the office. Over the next three days I took four exams, dutifully reporting all the results back to my coworkers. I passed backup & recovery by the skin of my teeth, and I failed the performance tuning exam by about the same margin. Bummer! But I got hold of a course book from the tuning course, studied that and the manuals for the next month or two, retook the exam, and passed. Ever since, I just sit for the upgrade exams whenever I have the chance, and I just hope that I've learned enough from all my ongoing research to pass. It was a close call for me on the 9i upgrade exam. The OracleWorld exam-cram session saved me on that one.

Jonathan Gennick --- Brighten the corner where you are http://Gennick.com

Join the Oracle-article list and receive one article on Oracle technologies per month by email. To join, visit http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/oracle-article, or send email to Oracle-article-request_at_gennick.com and include the word "subscribe" in either the subject or body. Received on Thu Jan 22 2004 - 08:55:23 CST