Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:12:02 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:36:33 -0800, Daniel Morgan wrote:

> It wasn't announced, it wasn't wide open.
>
> It was most certainly announced. But of course it wasn't wide open.
> Apparently the entire concept of Beta testing has eluded you.

So, you can definitely present a link to an issue of Oracle Magazine or OTN where the announcement was made and registration form for beta testing provided? As for the concept of Beta testing, it is something about discovering bugs, isn't it? That would seem to be especially important when it comes to the new version written almost entirely outside of the US. You have heard of a concept called "outsourcing", haven't you? Call me stupid (you've already done that, so don't bother, it's a only figure of speech) but I think that more testers can find more bugs. And if oracle is using the outside companies to devote real time and real money to testing effort, then I would most definitely think twice about the 10g. What you'll get will be so outrageously buggy that it will be practically unusable. No, Oracle people have to test the product themselves. These so called "tests" were just pretenses to give betas to the people they like and not give it to the others. That is what the whole point of it.

> Microsoft has licenses for Oracle. I assume you think they should have
> sent copies there too.

Yes, they should have done that. MS has made beta copies of their SQL Server available on the internet long before SQL Server 2000 was given production status. Microsoft is known for givnig away beta copies. After all, they have to submit the software to the independent auditors if they want to do benchmarks. Look at www.tpc.org and see benchmarks performed with 10g. Sad truth is that Microsoft most probably already has the software since Thanksgiving (the first 10g benchmarks were performed approximately at that time) and me, 15 years+ oracle DBA, I don't have it. After all, what would happen if MS got hold of 10g? What would they do? MS is not competing with Oracle on stability and performance, the competition is based on price, and that has been published long ago. MS will usually be able to undersell oracle, the problem is only whether oracle stability and features make it worthwhile for customers to buy oracle. This version does not instill much confidence.

> Each and every participant was voted on and invited.
>
> Pure unadulterated make-believe.

Nope. I contacted oracle through my sales rep and that was an official information. I also happen to have an independent confirmation from a guy that works for Oracle. Nevertheless, it's nice seeing that you've given up personal disqualifications and smearing, and decided to try with arguments.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)