Re: Career path of a ORACLE DBA

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 13:06:18 -0600

On 19 Jan 2004 10:26:23 -0800, jbradshaw777_at_yahoo.com (John) wrote:

>Hi group,
>
>Do you know of any really, realy senior ORACLE DBA? I guess I am
>wondering how long you can work as an ORACLE DBA - or as a technical
>person as a matter of fact. My thinking is that IT is still relatively
>new as a career option. So there may not be a lot of very senior IT
>professionals.

You think wrong, Grasshopper. IT is still relatively new as a career option? Relative to the creation of the Appalachian Mountains, perhaps. Oh, it's gone by different names, but it's been around since at least the late 1940's, if one dates it from the first commercial programmable computer.

How really, really senior do you want? I just turned 52. We have technical, non-managemnt people in my department that are over 60.

>So how do you envision your career path as an ORACLE
>DBA will take you? I am interested in knowing some real life cases. Do
>you think it is inevitable that all IT professionals will end up in
>the management?

It just depnds on the company's philosophy. Or that of their mid-level managers.