Re: Hmmm, it's starting....

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 06:18:38 GMT

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 04:39:13 +0000, Jim Kennedy wrote:

> Boy, you are a loser; a legend in your own mind. "Boo, Hoo, Oracle didn't
> send me a bug free beta in the mail and give me free support and take me to
> dinner. I'm going to take my ball and play elsewhere."

You're repeating yourself. It's a bad style and it's boring. I noted that you know how to spell "loser". Now that this great achievement of yours is duly noted, please move on.

> You've got a chip the size of Texas on your shoulder and think the world
> owes you a living. Glad I don't work for or with you or work for me. I
> count my lucky stars.

Me and you both. The feelings are entirely mutual. I wouldn't want to work for a guy like you for all the money in the world. You strike me as a genuine PHB, if there ever was one.

> No, I don't work for Oracle.

I believe that we've all read about so called "grassroot campaign" that MS attempted to organize when they were brought to court for violating the anti-trust law. I don't necessarily believe everybody who says "I don't work for oracle". I want to believe you because if you do work for oracle, this is a pitiful attempt defend the company. This would be PR gone cheap. Dirty cheap. Not even they would hire you to defend them.

> Yes, I've been an Oracle customer and been
> involved in Betas (8i, and 9i). Sure we had to ask Oracle to be included in
> the beta, sign some paper work, but it wasn't that difficult.

I'm glad that you're happy and content human being. As I have previously said, Oracle should offer it to me and not wait for me to come to them. This time they weren't giving any betas, they've closed the thing completely. Each and every member of the beta process had been voted on and the selection was very strict and rigorous. There wasn't a way of getting it, except by invitation. Get it? As it happens, I don't really trust this version because, according to my information, this was the first version written almost entirely outside US. I most certainly will take my time to test it out before I switch to it. Version 9i was less then shiny when it comes to the code quality and I don't think that I need to mention oracle 8i and patch sets that couldn't be backed out. Something is fishy here because they tightened the beta testing procedure to the unprecedented level. What I'm objecting is giving it out to some consulting companies which are clearly not doing any tests but are writing books and making presentations. Hardly a cause for such a personal reaction, don't you think?

> They gave us
> excellent support, some free classes (beta classes, but hey they were free;

I'm jumping up and down from joy for you! Free classes! Fancy that!

> still it was a bargain.) and access to developers etc. I don't know what
> was the process for 10G (moved on to a different company that is also an
> Oracle customer.), but probably not that different. Clearly, Oracle made
> the right choice not inviting someone who can't make a little effort to
> indicate they wanted to participate in a 10G beta. (but if you are still
> dealing with version 6 then I don't see the point to jump to 10G.)

No, I'm not dealing with V6. I've seen newer versions then V6. And older, too.

> Good luck, grow up.
> Jim

What can motivate an adult, albeit seemingly not a very intelligent one, to dispense such unsolicited personal advice just because someone complained against business practices of his favorite database company? Please, do continue to play with your mauve database. It takes the least RAM. I'll pray that our paths never cross, at least professionaly.

--
None of us is as dumb as all of us.
(http://www.despair.com/meetings.html)