Re: Buffer cache statistics (ratios) and CBO SQL optimization?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2004 17:02:01 -0800

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:<3ffc1a4b$0$18688$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> Given the lateness of this reply and the context of its
> thread, I think it's more than high time Geomancer
> identified him/herself to the group, if not in email
> at least in real name. There are remarkably few here that
> use a real e-mail, but almost all identify themselves
> with their real names, enough that we can readily id them.
>
> It's highly suspicious how his/her replies defending some
> books generate interventions from the authors with
> monotonous regularity. Particularly when such authors
> have seldom contributed here before. If ever. No, it's not
> a "don't have time" thing either!
>
> Let me be clear: nothing wrong IMO with such authors coming
> here to talk to everyone, if properly identified and in context.
> Most welcome, and frequently. Plenty of others do the same
> (JL, SA, CMD, HJR, etc) regularly, and correctly identifying
> themselves. Super.
>
> PLENTY wrong with "moles", no matter how sweet their talk
> might be. And starting to get tiring and irritating.
> Let's hope adult reasoning and the most basic HONESTY prevails:
> there are precious few people in this ng that haven't been
> there seen it, when it comes to childish scams.

I don't see it. Maybe Geo or somebody is just sending emails to people who don't ordinarily post here. For example, in another thread I mentioned Mogens paper about why you don't need RAC, and Daniel intimated not everyone has access to IOUG. So I emailed Mogens from a customer site, and he answered me including a query about how he could get involved in the debate, and I answered him, and the customers stoopid ms crap outlook server picked that moment to circumsize it's own genitals, duplicating some unique key and basically maybe losing everyone's server-based mail back to the middle of December. So I don't know if Mogens got my reply, but I do know he is interested in the thread and if he does post to that thread there will likely be a large but reasonable delay. I mean, isn't he about to host a conference with tkyte? :-)

I'm not saying there haven't been suspicious things here, I just don't necessarily see it in this case. I also agree Geo should say who he is. But hey, lots of us have online shielded identities for various reasons. Sure makes it easier to ask dumb questions! And as much as I'd like to say there aren't any dumb questions, there are some doozies :-)

> --
> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam
> "Dave Moore" <dave_at_oracleutilities.com> wrote in message news:dcfe458b.0401070602.364c5b26_at_posting.google.com...
> > As the author of the Oracle utilities book, I can assure you it's not
> > a cut and paste from OTN. The only reason I wrote the book was to
> > share insight that was orginal and that I couldn't find anywhere else.
> > For instance, the book includes how to actually use orakill in
> > combination with something like QSlice ... or how to create your own
> > facility and acutally make oerr useful. Trace Analyzer was explained
> > as well as scripts provided that aid in the tracing of user sessions
> > (all Oracle tracing tools were detailed). For some of the common
> > utilities (imp, exp, sqlldr) I discussed performance and gave the
> > benchmarks when using many different options on a table with 1M rows.
> > Should you use exp/imp or the SQL*Plus copy command? It depends, but
> > many times the copy command will do it even faster and with less
> > hassles.
> >
> > I couldn't dive straight into the "value add" part of each utility
> > until I explained first what it did. Some people are not even aware
> > of utilities like maxmem or oradebug. For those, I took a different
> > approach - what does it do, how do I execute it, and what problem can
> > it solve for me. Hope this helps.
> >
> > Dave Moore

jg

--