Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2004 15:50:34 -0800

JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet> wrote in message news:<3ffef572$1_1_at_athenanews.com>...
> On 2004-01-09, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> > Comments in-line.
> >
> > Frank van Bortel wrote:

> [deletia]
>
> >> Right - thank you. I'm from the era comp.sci education had to be
> >> invented. By your default, I would be less effective than you.
> >> Funny how many companies ask for me by name, then.
> >> Oh - I see; I'm one the the exceptions?!?

I still wonder if I had gone to UC Berkeley in the '70s instead of SB if my computer education would have been not so roundabout...

> > You might be. That you are an exception does not invalidate the concept.
> > No doubt there are people that could practice medicine that haven't
> > graduated from a medical school. Would you want one performing a triple
> > bypass on you?
>
> I want the fellow that has the most experience in chest cutting and
> preferably one with a higher success rate than his/her colleagues.

I want this Kline guy:
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/morgan/20040104-9999_1m4morgan.html

> Often, this sort of thing comes down to more personal attributes.
> A surgeon applies knowledge and experience that is mostly acquired
> AFTER they have left the University.
>
> Above all, any professional needs talent. Talent is something that
> should be enhanced by the University system. However, it is also
> something that can be suitably shaped through pure experience.
>
> In the end, there's no substitute for that practical experience.
> The real world is simply too interesting. You need to do things
> a few times and get subjected to a few surprises.
>
> [deletia]
>
> Ultimately, the college degree is meaningless.

Disagree. While I have met many excellent entrepreneurial types without one, professional vocations require the same type of discipline that acquiring a degree does. And even the most mick of liberal arts classes has had some value _in our field_ over not having taken the classes.

> One hopes that the board certification would mean something however.

Sometimes it is a means of restricting supply, sometimes it is valuable.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
500,000,000th person to visit the original Disneyland was from