Re: Creating a service dependency on an Oracle Instance

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 15:55:49 -0800

Comments in-line

David Fishburn wrote:

> Oracle 8.1.7 on W2K
>
> I want to setup an service that depends on my Oracle instance starting
> successfully.
>
> I have setup the windows registry to indicate to wait until Oracle
> successfully starts. But it appears Oracle tells windows that it has
> successfully started too SOON.
>
> My application cannot connect, when windows starts it.
> I can start it a bit later successfully.
>
> This is obviously a bug in Oracle, since other services work correctly.

There is no bug in Oracle. There is a bug in your code. How long it takes a service to initialize and how long it takes a database to open bear no relationship to each other.

> Does anyone know a work around for this?

Fix your code.

> I have tried setting dependencies on these services (in desperation):
> OracleOraHome81TNSListener,OracleServiceFFS42GA,OracleOraHome81Agent
>
> Where OracleServiceFFS42GA is my actual instance.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Others might have queried the database or read the Alert log to determine if it was open.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu