Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 9 Jan 2004 13:39:46 -0500

On 2004-01-09, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> Comments in-line.
>
> Frank van Bortel wrote:
>
>> J Alex wrote:
>>
>>> <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote

[deletia]

>> Right - thank you. I'm from the era comp.sci education had to be
>> invented. By your default, I would be less effective than you.
>> Funny how many companies ask for me by name, then.
>> Oh - I see; I'm one the the exceptions?!?
>
> You might be. That you are an exception does not invalidate the concept.
> No doubt there are people that could practice medicine that haven't
> graduated from a medical school. Would you want one performing a triple
> bypass on you?

I want the fellow that has the most experience in chest cutting and preferably one with a higher success rate than his/her colleagues.

Often, this sort of thing comes down to more personal attributes. A surgeon applies knowledge and experience that is mostly acquired AFTER they have left the University.

Above all, any professional needs talent. Talent is something that should be enhanced by the University system. However, it is also something that can be suitably shaped through pure experience.

In the end, there's no substitute for that practical experience. The real world is simply too interesting. You need to do things a few times and get subjected to a few surprises.

[deletia]

Ultimately, the college degree is meaningless.

One hopes that the board certification would mean something however.

--
There's no reason not to contribute to the stone soup if those    |||
contributions are not critical to your competitive edge.         / | \