Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:20:07 -0800

Joel Garry wrote:

> And that is indeed the phrase I had in mind when I wrote the post that
> Daniel was responding to (as well as a sig I posted not long ago,
> which was actually from a license-plate frame I saw that said "I'm not
> 41, I'm 18 with 23 years of experience). What is minimized in the
> saying is that doing the same thing in 5 different languages over 3
> different generations of languages gives its own perspective. And
> isn't doing the same thing with different methodologies what we mean
> by keeping skills current?

I agree.

The comment doesn't apply to most people. But it does apply to some.

> - how are you going to convince a horde of microsofties to use Portal
> instead of Excel and ODBC and whatever little MS-SQL packages they've
> bought for their particular purposes?

You aren't. I don't think most of them would know the difference between a flat file and 4th normal form if it was the only question standing between them and survival.

But then it wasn't that long ago when medicine was practiced the same way: And people died. And it wasn't that long ago that engineering was practiced the same way: And bridges fell down.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu