Re: Professional or Not (was Database Design)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Jan 2004 13:31:40 -0800

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote in message news:<3ffd6bbf$0$13350$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
> Mark wrote
> > > "Some people have 15 years of experience. Others have 1 year of
> > > experience 15 times."
> >
> > I will have to remember that last phrase; there is a fair amount of truth
> to it.
> >
> > IMHO -- Mark D Powell --

And that is indeed the phrase I had in mind when I wrote the post that Daniel was responding to (as well as a sig I posted not long ago, which was actually from a license-plate frame I saw that said "I'm not 41, I'm 18 with 23 years of experience). What is minimized in the saying is that doing the same thing in 5 different languages over 3 different generations of languages gives its own perspective. And isn't doing the same thing with different methodologies what we mean by keeping skills current?

[Anybody know where that phrase came from? Couldn't find it on bartleby or quoteland. Bartleby has some good experience quotes though.]

> I'm not so sure this is true anymore. I don't think that my experience of
> more and more projects with different software and different aims within one
> organisation is that rare these days. Of course it could be that other folk
> are looking after the same old systems they have always had with little or
> no development and with few or zero new implementations..

That just continues an information-overload trend noted in the classic "Future Shock." I think it also reflects the notion that newer technologies allow a stratification of functionality - things that can be done with a smaller or less data-center oriented system will be, so you wind up with heterogeneity. Then you have to make all strata work together. So you have vendors seeing an opportunity for "enterprise software," which is an easy sell but an uphill implementation battle - how are you going to convince a horde of microsofties to use Portal instead of Excel and ODBC and whatever little MS-SQL packages they've bought for their particular purposes?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/reports/crowe/crowe6.html