Re: Database Design

From: DJ <nospamplease_at_goaway.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 19:25:03 -0000

> >>"it does not show that you have achieved anything other
> >>than memorising the facts required to pass the exam."
> >

> > You can apply the same theory to a University Degree...
>
> Perhaps at some schools. But you'd never make it past my midterms, much
> less a final, trying a stunt like that. And I can guarantee you you'd
> not have survived Dr. Carl Djerassi or numerous other profs. whose
> company I have enjoyed over the years.
>
> Here are a couple of question my students handled:
>
> 2. Create a demo showing the differences in performance inserting,
> updating, and deleting 200,000 rows in the following scenarios:
> 2A. Two heap tables with a foreign key constraint
> 2B. The same information modeled with a nested table
> 2C. The same two tables in a cluster (hash or index)
>
> 7. Create a demo procedure showing how to load an array indexed by
> binary integer and read records forward or backward depending on a
> passed parameter.
>
> Memorize away if you wish.
>
> BTW: What university did you attend?
>
> --
> Daniel Morgan
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp
> http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp
> damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
> (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

for an Oracle course that is what id expect, is you course a 'degree' or something else out of curiosity?

In England at least anyway degree courses are mainly exam with 30-40% coursework, so you can easily do well but repeating facts parrott fashion.

Its a shame that we dont have ( i think) courses like yours for Oracle at Universities, they dont seem to exist as far as I can tell. Universities are primarily degreee driven places All we get here is the one week things from Oracle and other training companies Received on Wed Jan 07 2004 - 13:25:03 CST