Re: Database Design

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 10:16:25 -0800

grjohnson wrote:

> andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk (Tony) wrote in message news:<c0e3f26e.0401060234.19d0ac3d_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote in message news:<un092me58.fsf_at_standardandpoors.com>...
>>"it does not show that you have achieved anything other
>>than memorising the facts required to pass the exam."

> You can apply the same theory to a University Degree...

Perhaps at some schools. But you'd never make it past my midterms, much less a final, trying a stunt like that. And I can guarantee you you'd not have survived Dr. Carl Djerassi or numerous other profs. whose company I have enjoyed over the years.

Here are a couple of question my students handled:

2. Create a demo showing the differences in performance inserting, updating, and deleting 200,000 rows in the following scenarios:

	2A. Two heap tables with a foreign key constraint
	2B. The same information modeled with a nested table
	2C. The same two tables in a cluster (hash or index)

7. Create a demo procedure showing how to load an array indexed by binary integer and read records forward or backward depending on a passed parameter.

Memorize away if you wish.

BTW: What university did you attend?

--
Daniel Morgan