Re: Database Design

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 22:08:59 +1100

I still remember the stupid games played on young startup operators on how "easy" it was to remove 2000 cards off the reader output stack with one hand. Invariably followed by the "sort cards on floor" routine...

Mind you I had access to a very old, steam-driven, IBM sorter. This thing sorted first on column 1, then we collated and fed all the cards again and it sorted on column 2, then on column 3, etc.

Boring, but it beat "knees on the floor" anytime. Unless we tried to collect them off the sorter in one hand, in which case an early practical demonstration of recursion was the result, more often than not.

It was also a great introduction to hash-bubble sort algorithms. ;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto