Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:57:22 -0800

Noons wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1072810464.715634_at_yasure...
>

>>   The CBO does this CJ
>>
>>>replacement often enough when join columns are of different data types, as
>>>you likely are aware of.
>>
>>I was referring to the garbage code written into many of these
>>third-party product's front-ends.

> Well, yes. That is a big part of the garbage code I've seen over
> the years. It's well known that predicates involving different data
> types cause implicit data conversions. It's also well known that
> the optimiser (or is it the parser?) will 9 times out of 10 do the
> wrong implicit conversion, ie, the one that will stop an index from
> working. Yet, these 3rd parties still insist on coding that way...
>
> Mind you, about time Oracle fixed that little trait of picking the
> wrong conversion.

Personally I'd like to see Oracle break all implicit conversions. Problem is that there is so much badly written code out there that they can't.

>>I'd guess because most products are not using TAF and not trapping
>>commits and not written by people that understand how to write for
>>fail-over. It is absolutely Oracle's fault that this includes Oracle
>>Forms, Reports, and Apps. It is not their fault that other vendors
>>similarly have refused to rewrite their code for fail-over.

> Well, it's the nature of the beast nowadays... These multi-tier
> apps are just glorified ways of making systems database-unaware.
> With dire consequences for Oracle and its newer features, IMHO.

I've worked with a quite a few ... "database-unaware" apps. And have found two things.

  1. Some companies figure out that they have created garbage and rewrite it. I can think of two just in Bellevue Washington alone.
  2. Some managers prefer to buy projectorware. Don't test. Don't verify. And deserve the garbage they get. Caveat emptor.
>>Provided one insists on purchasing garbage from vendors that don't
>>leverage these abilities. One of the reasons for Amazon's success is
>>that they have written all of their own apps and all of their own APIs.
>>It is the difference between good management and bad.

> Couldn't agree more. Let's hope managers out there start changing
> their attitude. Otherwise this industry is truly down the
> gurgler as far as quality goes.

Lets hope more IT people show some backbone and stop letting ignorant managers make purchases that put them into a form of virtual slavery.

>>Now I understand what you want. Hmmmm. I think it would be far easier to
>>just buy good software in the first place ... or write it yourself.

> I wish...

I am teaching a class at the U during the Spring quarter for managers of technology projects that are not experts in technology. One might consider this Dilbert's revenge. I'm going to have 30 hours during which I am going to get to let the pointy-haired bosses see them as we see them. It should be a blast.

If you want to sign up your management have them contact me. ;-)

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)