Re: Where is Oracle’s Grid ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 12:02:26 +1100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1072830358.460856_at_yasure...
> Noons wrote:
>
> > Of course. No one says that without effort one can succeed in IT. Only in
> > show-business and politics does that happen. What I object to is having
> > Oracle decreeing I or anyone else MUST be pushed out of the industry because
> > we've been around a long time and we're not "upgrading our skill sets".
> > That's crap, and anyone with half a brain knows it is.

> It is not, to use your word, crap. It is the law. And it has been

No, it is crap. EVERYONE in this industry with half a brain and a few years under their belt knows that skill set upgrade is the lifeblood of their careers. They don't need Oracle to tell them that. How they do that upgrade is also their right and choice. The expression "teaching granny how to suck eggs" makes itself obvious here. The ones that don't know this have by now fallen through the cracks. That is not a consequence of anything Oracle might have done and is only natural as you point out.

And yes, Oracle has been "decreeing" just that. I've been to the Oracle marketing exercises here over the last couple of years and in EVERY single one of them the Oracle marketeer has made a point of "how old fashioned" people become for not running the latest versions and "how behind the times" DBAs have become because they are "running old versions". God only knows what they're up to in sell meetings...

As if a production DBA had any say in what gets run and how! Why doesn't Oracle go to third-party apps conventions, user group meetings and others and tell THEM to forget the "only runs on 8.0.6" rubbish? That would help, for a change. But noooo, it's the "Oracle DBA" that is at fault...

That, and Oracle now providing outsourcing of production DBA services, of course. But let's gloss over that.

It's very clear that Oracle has found an easy target on production DBAs to blame its very own inadequacies and costs in running third party software. They can come up with whatever marketing crap they might want to hide this but the industry has seen through it.

And let me tell you one thing: the tone and mood of production DBAs in the latest user group meetings I've been to was not very helpful. At all. Most of them are seriously pissed off. I think Oracle is shooting themselves in the foot big time with this one. We'll see what comes up out of all this.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto