Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:32:54 -0000

galenboyer_at_hotpop.com says...

> > No, it is far more likely that the paranoid DBA has little or
> > no respect for the developers.

> And somehow DBAs must have respect from developers? Why?
> Because they have the title of DBA?

Some of them appear to think so!

> > Developer quality varies widely.

> DBA quality varies widely.

Amen to that - as a developer who wants to make the switch to DBA, I can't think of anyone better than an ex-developer to know the faults that DBA's seem to develop - maybe I'll be cursing developers in the future, but AFAICS, what Daniel Morgan is saying is dead on - you give the developers the rope that they can use to hang themselves *_ON DEVELOPMENT SYSTEMS_*. That's the whole point of being a developer.

I also find the idea of a hermetic seal between developers and DBA's who are supposed to be working for the same company on the same product a bit difficult - maybe I'm better suited to smaller shops where I can be both simultaneously, or at least where there is an overlap of roles, and one side understands (or at least tries to) the other!

Paul...

--

plinehan  x__AT__x  yahoo  x__DOT__x  com

C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

Please do not top-post.