Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 08:56:29 -0000

"Paul" <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message news:MPG.1a48630d1775272a98983f_at_news1.eircom.net...
> I also find the idea of a hermetic seal between developers and DBA's who
> are supposed to be working for the same company on the same product a
> bit difficult - maybe I'm better suited to smaller shops where I can be
> both simultaneously, or at least where there is an overlap of roles, and
> one side understands (or at least tries to) the other!

I think you are exactly correct here, though DBAs and Developers do tend to have somewhat different mindsets. I speculate that this comes from the pressure on developers to deliver 'solutions' extremely rapidly and to tight budgets whilst preferably using new technologies so as not to be obsolete. DBAs tend to be under pressure to provide available, secure, highly performing data stores.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA