Password expiration questions

From: Tim Kearsley <tim.kearsley_at_milton-keynes.gov.uk>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 00:38:53 -0800

Hi all,

Oracle 8.1.7.3
AIX 4.3.3
RS6000 SP node

A couple of questions:

  1. If I create a profile which enforces password expiration after a given time and apply that profile to a user, when does the expiration period commence? Is it from the instant the profile is applied or is it from the next time the user logs on?
  2. If a user has a given password expiration of, say, 30 days and let's say is 15 days away from that expiration, what happens if I change the profile to enforce an expiration of, say, 90 days? Does the password now expire 90 days from either the application of the profile or the next log on, or does the earlier expiration from the previous profile still occur?

Any experience or opinions on this topic very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Tim Kearsley
Milton Keynes Council Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 02:38:53 CST