Re: Can't connect to database using 'sqlplus <username>/<password>', even when ORACLE_SID is set.

From: Jeffrey Yee <jeffyee_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Dec 2003 01:01:15 -0800

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<828Cb.95$BQ5.60_at_fed1read03>...
> Jeffrey Yee wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > As oracle user, I can use 'sqlplus <username>/<password>' to log in to
> > a database, when ORACLE_SID is set. But when I'm login as root, and
> > then set the ORACLE_SID, but 'sqlplus <username>/<password>' will give
> > me the following error:
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
>
> No OS or version! :-(
> No Oracle version! :-(
>
> When connecting to a local database (using BEQ protocol & not SQL*Net),
> both ORACLE_SID & ORACLE_HOME need to be correct & exported. Plus, PATH
> needs to include $ORACLE_HOME/bin & if on *nix LD_LIBRARY_PATH needs to
> include $ORACLE_HOME/lib

My apology for not providing enough information. Here you go: database version: 8.1.6.3
os version: HP-UX B.11.11

In fact, I tried running the oracle user's .profile to set all the environment variables, but I still cannot connect to the database without using '@bscs_rtx'.

I don't know why my company is using root to run bcv backup. I would prefer using oracle user, but this practice been around for a few years. Received on Fri Dec 12 2003 - 03:01:15 CST