Re: very poor SYS view performance (8i) / fragmented data dictionary

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 18:58:13 +1100

"Uwe Kuechler" <gg.3.ukuechle_at_spamgourmet.com> wrote in message news:beab228e.0312110830.7650e49c_at_posting.google.com...
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0312101732.66f4a54e_at_posting.google.com>...

> I can only hope that this may help a lot. I do remember many troubles
> with the first 8i releases and I wonder why they still stick to this
> release, while other systems in this company run on 8.1.7.4.
> I'll also try to find some docu on re-organizing SYS's objects - do
> you have any links (other than orafaq.com, ixora.com or dbaclick.com)?

You don't reorganize sys objects directly. You change the allocation of sys objects to avoid problems with dbs of many thousands of objects AND object volatility, then you re-create the dictionary. The way to do it is explained in some prior messages here and in the file (search on sql.bsq) and a few other sites. Check with Metalink and Oracle support before going open season on it, though. It can be tricky and is only useful for dbs with a LOT of volatile objects. And TEST before doing this. It worked for me every single time I used it with Financials, Peoplesoft, SAP but it may not in your case. BTW, "support" will tell you up-front that it is not supported, but just ask them why is it their consulting group does it EVERY single time when THEY install Oracle apps and they'll open up.

> Well, this project environment is rather new to me and I still have to
> figure out what all those scheduled applications are supposed to do.
> This specific application issues the very same data dictionary selects
> over and over again for minutes and then suddenly changes to other
> tasks for the next minutes. Looks a bit weird, but I'm afraid the
> consultants in this project wouldn't want to dump that piece of
> software.

Yuch!

--
Cheers