Re: Deadly sins againts database performance/scalability

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: 11 Dec 2003 11:03:29 -0500

On 2003-12-07, Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> Comments in-line.
>
> Paul Drake wrote:
>
>> you want an account that has some sort of dba role that can alter
>> database properties, and have access to the init.ora or spfile.
>>
>> your existing dba is unavailable, overworked, not competent,
>> uninterested or just plain has no clue and nothing to offer in terms
>> of background, experience, etc.
>>
>> I can see you wanting to be able to make changes to the database
>> config so as to help optimize how the app code runs. you want the
>> project to succeed.
>>
>> I could also see where an existing dba (group) might not want you
>> tweaking parameters without justification, this sounds not so much
>> like a communal development environment, but a play area for you to
>> hone your dba skills. personal workstation and laptops are a great
>> place to experiment. If you have to support a horde of developers with
>> this dev db, it might not be the best place for you to develop/hone
>> your dba skills.
>
> If I may jump in for Galen here, he's probably smarter than me and in
> bed ... what you've written is not the point at all. But your attitude
> is exactly what causes developers so much grief.
>
> Developers don't have machines at home that are like those at work. I
> don't know a single developer who has a personal HP9000 (well I have two
> but that's not the point a do mostly DBA work and teaching). Nor are
> there many with Sun 450s or machines running AIX or OS/390, etc. So lets
> not pretend one can learn on their personal PC that which will best
> optimize an application in a business environment.

What makes you think that a developer will necessarily have reasonable development hardware even at the office? Any place that I have ever worked (or ever supported) has had a shortage of suitable development machines.

Quite often, "someone's desktop" actually ends up being a dev or QA server.

I've seen this in environments where the corp was already spending millions on Oracle licenses and server hardware.

[deletia]

--
There's no reason not to contribute to the stone soup if those    |||
contributions are not critical to your competitive edge.         / | \