Re: Gotchas while migrating from DB2 to Oracle.

From: Hemant Shah <shah_at_typhoon.xnet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:35:37 +0000 (UTC)

While stranded on information super highway Noons wrote:
:)Hemant Shah <shah_at_typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message news:<br590p$12d$1_at_flood.xnet.com>...
:)
:)> was pretty lively. It seems Oracle will not block readers, and that
:)> difference (from DB2) has significant impact on our application.
:)
:)It should not cause major problems. If the functionality of Oracle
:)is a problem (why?), then use SELECT ... FOR UPDATE as the syntax
:)for your "block-on-read" implementation. It will achieve the same
:)result.
:)
:)ATTENTION: ONLY use the syntax "FOR UPDATE" when you indeed want
:)to lock a SINGLE row on a read. If you do not need to lock on read,
:)then DON'T!
:)
:)> For people who has used DB2 and Oracle can you please tell me other
:)> differences you have found so that I can be prepared, or point me to a
:)> document/web page.
:)
:)Daniel gave you a very good list. BE aware that PL/SQL packages when
:)used in triggers, provide a much more powerful facility than the stored
:)SQL ANSI standard used in DB2. In addition you can use native Java with
:)Oracle FROM the database as stored code. That is not directly possible
:)with DB2, so therein may lie a useful optimisation.
:)
:)> We are porting our application from DB2 UDB (7.2) to Oracle 9i (9.2.0.4.0).
:)
:)If you want to keep DB2 compatibility it will be a lot harder.
:)If not, I urge you to use the features of 9i over and above what
:)DB2 7 provides. Tom Kyte's books provide excellent reference
:)material for this sort of thing. If you don't have to keep compatibility,
:)then DO USE the extras you get in 9i: it's well worth it!
:)
:)Cheers
:)Nuno Souto
:)wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

Thank you all for your comments. I will have to read Tom Kyte's book. If you can, can you please provide the title of the book?

Looks like I may have to take few training classes in Oracle and understand properly.

Thanks.

--
Hemant Shah                           /"\  ASCII ribbon campaign
E-mail: NoJunkMailshah_at_xnet.com       \ /  ---------------------