Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2003 16:27:23 -0800

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FCBE12F.634F6A75_at_yahoo.net>...
> Joel Garry wrote:
> >
> > Hey, I did the VMS <--> unix shift-world-view for years, so I don't
> > have a problem spewing out a truly foul taste of W.
> >

> Was that 'W', as in MIT's pre-'X', or as in 'the other guy'.

See Subject:-)

> Since the Windows license precludes publishing benchmarks [unless they
> are TCP, which generally means twisted by gurus with access to internals
> (regardless of vendor)], is it time to start publishing benchmark
> harnesses instead to let people check for themselves?

Excellent!

> I find Windows fine until something serious happens and I can 'point &
> click' my way into oblivion as well as the next guy. I just don't
> understand why things do a subtle shift every once in a while, requiring
> a full reinstall & repatch about every 9-12 months - in every Windows
> system I own.

With the upgrade cycle, that happens to me anyways (except on my home systems, which have only been dragged screaming to 98 because of app requirements like VPN).

The box I've been doing 9iAS stuff on seems to blow hardware on a shorter cycle :-O

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada." - Britney